Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Henri de Toulouse- Lautrec

The painting I chose is of a women sitting at a table. She looks like she is currently in some sort of restaurant. The woman looks like she works somewhere that sells food because of what she is wearing. She is wearing a white blouse that reminds me of the shirts the people who work for a catering business would wear. By the expression on her face and the squinting of her eyes, she looks very angry or really tired. This could possibly be from working so much. There is also a wine glass and a bottle wine on the table that is in front of her. Wine is alcoholic so she might be stressed and wanting to get drunk.
I think when Henri de Toulouse- Lautrec painted this he was targeting mainly older people, over the age of at least sixteen. Many younger people would not even understand what this is about. I feel that Henri de Toulouse- Lautrec’s purpose in making this painting was to show how he felt about this certain subject. He may have done this painting to inform someone of what he was thinking about one day. Or it may have been something he saw or was watching and decided to paint it. I think that Henri de Toulouse- Lautrec did not have a stance on this painting. I feel this way because when I do paintings I paint something that is important to me. The genre of this is a painting and the media he used is a portrait.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree that the lady in this painting looks very upset. Judging by the amount of drink left in the bottle I would say she is upset or has been wronged in some way and is using the alcohol to drink away her problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with josh,she upset about something. Also, Toulouse-Lautrec was an alcoholic so the alcohol could be a symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. emily is right. toulouse-latrec was an alcholic. he loved bars and the nightlife. the woman depicted in this picture could have been someone who caught his attention while he was in the same restaurant or establishment.

    ReplyDelete